Downsville is a hamlet, census-designated place (CDP), and former villagein the town of Colchester, Delaware County, New York, United States. The population was 617 at the 2010 census.
It is the site of the Downsville Bridge, a covered bridge, and the historic Union Free School.
Downsville is named for Abel Downs, who had a tannery there.
Downsville is located on the East Branch of the Delaware River. A dam on this portion of the river, at Downsville, was completed by locals paid for byNew York City in 1954, creating the Pepacton Reservoir, which is part of the New York City water supply system.
Geography and Education
Downsville is located in the northern part of the town of Colchester, along Downs Brook just north of its confluence with the East Branch Delaware River. New York State Route 30 passes through the hamlet, leading southwest 15 miles (24 km) to the hamlet of East Branch at NY 17, and east 26 miles (42 km) along the Pepacton Reservoir to Margaretville. New York State Route 206 leads northwest from Downsville 10 miles (16 km) to Waltonand southeast 14 miles (23 km) to NY 17 at Roscoe.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the Downsville CDP has a total area of 4.0 square miles (10.4 km2), of which 3.9 square miles (10.2 km2) is land and 0.1 square miles (0.2 km2), or 1.97%, is water.
Downsville Central School, located on Maple Avenue, serves families from the surrounding areas, including municipalities as far away as East Branch. Downsville Central School's colors are purple and white and their mascot is the Eagle.
Listing information provided courtesy of the Otsego-Delaware Board of Realtors. IDX Information is provided exclusively for consumers' personal, non-commercial use, and it may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing. The data is deemed reliable, but is not guaranteed accurate by the MLS.
Updated: 21st May, 2019 5:40 PM.